“ Advertising brings in the customers, but it is your job to keep them – Chet Holmes
And if you are thinking to grow up online than it all starts with domain name. A domain name is your website name. IP address has complicated numerical strings which is difficult to recall. But now, IP address was replaced by domain name. so, we have assembled all of the crucial information you need to find a domain name. This will going to be a guide for domain beginners.
Here is an outline of the topics we will cover.
- What is the domain name?
- Where do you buy a domain name?
- How to buy a domain name.
- Top-level domain name.
- How to choose a good domain name for a business/ blog.
- How domain names impact your business.
- How to sell the domain name.
What is a domain name?
A domain name is the website name. It is the address on which internet users can approach your website easily. A domain name is used as part of URL to analyze a website. However, it is difficult for humans to recall strings of numbers. The actual IP address is a complex numerical address, but now thanks to DNS(Domain Name System), users are able to enter domain names and be routed to the websites they are looking for.
Domain extension is the documentation at the end of a web address that determines the Internet category.
For eg. In Google.com, the domain extension is .com
For your business, not only you have to find the perfect domain name, but you have to find the right domain extension too.
Few examples of domain extensions are: .com/ .org/ .gov/ .net
A premium domain name is a high-quality domain that investors often buy and sell with the aim of making a profit. These names are short, catchy, and registered to a person, entity, or organization. The cost of these domain names are quite higher than purchasing a basic domain name.
Carpenter.store is an example of a premium domain.
Where do you buy a domain name
Choosing the right domain registrar saves you from possible future problems. It not only assists you to protect your brand name but also makes it smooth to run your website to a new post.
These are top domain registrars to buy a domain name from:
- Domain.com: Started in 2000, domain.com is one of the most popular domain name registrar on the planet. They allow you to register all top-level domain name extensions and even dozens of country code top levels domains.
- Go Daddy: Go daddy is one of the oldest and most popular domain registration company. They manage a large number of customers. They help you to make suggestions for your domain name.
- Name cheap:Name cheap is another top domain registrar in the market. They have a powerful domain search tool that helps you find the right domain name and make suggestions when your preferred domain name is not available.
- Dream host:This is another popular domain registrar and web hosting service provider. They allow to register all the domain extensions easily.
How to buy a domain name:
If you want to start a blog or a new online business, you will need to register a domain name. The process of buying the domain name is fairly uncomplicated.
- Choose a reliable domain registrar: To get a domain name, you should first find the registrar that is accredited with the INTERNET CORPORATION FOR ASSIGNED NAMES AND NUMBERS (ICANN).
- Find a domain availability checker:The next step in your journey is a domain name search and should involve a domain availability checker tool. This will tell you if the domain name you want is available or not.
- Choose the best domain name option: When you’re checking for available domain names, you will often find that your first, second, and fifth choices are already taken. Some of the different approaches you can take when this happen are:
Continue seeking: Let your innovative juices flow, and continue seeking until you discover something you like.
Choose another extension: If the .com isn’t available and you are set on a certain name, consider the .net or .org if you think, it will work.
Connect with the owner: Maybe the domain is already purchased, but it’s not being put to much use. You could collaborate with the owner with an offer.
Top-level domain name:
Every website on the internet can be identified by an IP address, which is a unique series of numbers. These numbers are a set of commandment that permits a computer to access stored data.
Example: There’s .ca for Canada, .biz for business, and .or.com for commercial website.
Most popular top-level domains are: .com / .org / .net/ .edu
How to choose a good domain for your business:
There are some factors consider when choosing a domain name….
Choose your top-level domain extension carefully:
There are plenty of new domains name extensions available today. A study done by Growthbadger shows that .com scores the highest trust ratings of all the extensions.
Some of the common most popular top-level domain extensions are: .com/ .net/ .org
You’ll find plenty of domain extensions available that can add personality to your business/blog. Domain extensions have specific uses, so make sure they will make some sense to your business.
Make sure your domain name is easy to spell and pronounce:
Every businessman wants that domain name of his business to be memorable. So make it easier for visitors to share your domain name by word-of-mouth. Word-of-mouth is still a powerful advertising. This makes the domain name easier to remember.
Don’t use double letters:
By using doubled letters in domain names people can misspell the name of your domain which may cause Traffic loss. Doubled letters are harder to type correctly. Hence, if your goal is local business, it’s just not worth taking risk.
Avoid using hyphens:
Avoid the domain name that contains hyphens. Hyphens are tough to explain verbally. The idea of using hyphens in your domain name makes it harder to remember.
The great thing about that Brandable domain names is that they’re unique and make your brand memorable. A unique domain name also helps you to avoid legal trouble.
For example: Stitchflix is a unique and brandable name.
How domain name impact your business:
The right domain name will make your brand more popular and memorable. It will be a great way to gain more traffic. That will turn in more sales.
How to sell your domain name:
Selling your domain name is not a simple process. It only depends upon the value you get from the market for your domain name.
Determine the value for your domain name:
You need while selling your domain name, the value for your domain name.
For example: If your domain name consists the top-level extension like: .com than it will carry a higher price.
Your contact information should be public on the WHOIS directory:
Contact information is very necessary while selling your domain name. So, make your contact information available.
If someone searches for a domain name to purchase, so they can contact you and buy your domain name from you.
Use an Escrow service for payment:
An escrow service helps you to avoid being scammed by a potential buyer. This type of service acts as third-party that will safely hold your funds.
Transfer the domain:
Last step for selling your domain name is to transfer the domain to the buyer.
Transfer of domain names includes some essential steps:
The domain seller will submit the authorization code to start the process. Authorization code to start the process.
There might be restrictions that the Funds must stay in escrow, so check again before you initiate the transfer.
- Selling domain name is not an easy process. It is to be hoped that the above tips have given you some guidance regarding selling your domain name.
It is to be hoped that the above article about the domain name helped you to gain the maximum knowledge. We are happy to share certain knowledge which help you to make the right decision while choosing the right domain name that would grow up your business online.