Are you struggling in choosing the best CMS software for building your website?
In this blog, we will compare the top 15 CMS software, along with their advantages and prices.
CMS (Content management system) is software where users can create websites and easily manage their content without using any coded website element.
Before giving a brief about the 15 best CMS for making websites, Let’s talk about what is CMS?
What is CMS?
CMS (content management system) is a type of software that helps a user to create a website and easily manage the content. With CMS, users can effortlessly focus on front-end areas during website building.
Furthermore, CMS software is available in multiple forms. The three most popular forms are-
- Cloud CMS
A Cloud CMS is a pre-engineered system, which means it is accessible to use without downloading the hardware or software into the system. Moreover, in cloud CMS users can easily manage the content from multiple devices.
- Open-source CMS
A content management system is not owned by a single entity, it is built from Open source code and has access to all the users. Moreover, Anyone can modify the system to suit their needs.
- Proprietary CMS
It is software that belongs to the organization, group, or person that has created it. A source code is typically not available to the public and can only be accessed by those with a license key.
15 Best CMS software for 2022
Following are the most suitable CMS software in 2022 to create a website-
WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS). It was used for personal blogs, but now it is adopted for a wide range of purposes, which includes professional publications and e-commerce platforms.
Moreover, Its CMS provides 58,000 plugins to users, through which they can be built on any type of website.
Pros of using WordPress CMS
- Multiple Designs-There are various themes available on WordPress. You can easily buy or change the theme according to your preference.
- User Friendly- WordPress CMS is easy to start with, you can easily add and edit content, and beginners often find it simple to use.
- Built-in Analytics- WordPress CMS has in-built Analytics, which will help you to know Statistics about how many visitors are visiting your website on daily basis.
- Easy Upgradation to new plan- If your site becomes more popular and larger, you can upgrade your plan. There are a variety of plans available, including one with eCommerce.
Cons of using WordPress CMS
- It lacks customer support
- They don’t provide you with reliable themes and plugins.
- They don’t allow you to add a custom domain name when you pay for their cheapest plan.
- WordPress starts cost- $2.99/month
- WordPress Pro Cost- $11.59/month
Famous websites built by using WordPress
The New York times records everything that happens around the world. They record world politics news, art exhibitions, sports achievements, etc.
The New York Times covers every topic on its mega-popular WordPress website.
Furthermore, as you know how much data a news portal has, gives you an idea about one of the heaviest and most popular websites.
JOOMLA CMS Software
Joomla was released in 2005. It is another popular open-source CMS software that comes with lots of different themes and plugins. Moreover, it is free to you, but you need a domain and web hosting.
It is similar to WordPress, it is not a good option for beginners, but is ideal for experienced website developers.
Pros of using JOOMLA
- Flexible- It provides plenty of options for making a complex website, which states its flexibility.
- Availability of Community support- Just like WordPress, you get community support if you get stuck.
- Easy to edit content- You can easily edit your content without any requirement of developer and coding knowledge.
- Manage sub- pages- Joomla is efficient in managing hundreds of sub-pages.
- Security- They provide you with two-factor authentication factors to secure your network in a better way.
Cons of using JOOMLA
- It is not beginner-friendly.
- Unlike WordPress, it lacks plugins and extensions
Premium Shared Hosting for $2.59/month.
Business Shared Hosting for $3.99/month.
Famous websites built by using JOOMLA
Lipton Iced Tea
Lipton Iced Tea website is a portfolio of Lipton products running on Joomla.
In addition, it introduces some of the most popular recipes using it. Lipton marketers their product in 40 countries by Unilever.
HubSpot CMS Software
HubSpot CMS comes under one of the top 3 CMS software to create websites. The two qualities which make it come under the top 3 is, that it is user-friendly, or we can say that good for beginners. Another one is that it doesn’t require constant updates and edits. Furthermore, its in-built sales and marketing tool helps you to increase the reach and engagement of the website.
Pros of HubSpot CMS Software-
- A platform for everything and anything related to marketing, sales, and customer service, all in one place.
- The software comes with a free CRM (customer relationship management)
- It is user-friendly, and good for beginners as well.
Cons HubSpot CMS Software-
- It is difficult to modify the templates.
- Lower packages do not have enough A/B testing.
Famous websites built by using HubSpot CMS software-
This website is built by The B2B Marketing Lab in 2019, and it features some beautifully designed templates and functionality. This website is built by using HubSpot CMS.
Drupal CMS Software
Drupal is designed to use by professionals as it is best for making large and complex websites. The built-in features of Drupal are optimized for better performance and security when compared to Joomla and WordPress.
Furthermore, the reason behind choosing Drupal CMS for making complex websites is its flexible API structure which supports different digital platforms.
Pros of Drupal CMS:
- It assists with regular software updates for fixing bugs and improving user experience.
- Drupal provides mobile-friendly themes.
- It doesn’t depend on third-party plugins for security, which makes your website less vulnerable to security.
Cons of Drupal CMS:
- It is not good for beginners, as it requires basic knowledge of coding (PHP, CSS, and HTML).
- It has limited third-party modules.
Famous Website made by using Drupal CMS-
The economists- Use Drupal CMS Software to timely update and upload information.
The following are the pricing of Drupal CMS.
Woo Commerce CMS Software
Woo Commerce is the most famous and easy-to-use E-commerce Platform in the world.
It is a SAAS (software as a service) based technology. It is software but not a technically CMS platform. Instead, It turns into a plugin on WordPress. This means that you’ll need a website on WordPress in order to use WooCommerce.
In comparison to other platforms, whether licensed, SAAS, or open-source, WooCommerce has the strongest community, backing, and momentum.
Pros of WooCommerce
- You can add any payment gateways through extensions and add-ons. Whereas, by default WooCommerce comes with PayPal and Stripe Payment Options.
- It is easy to track and manage your inventory with WooCommerce.
- WooCommerce is free software, but you may need to buy hosting. In case, you have a WordPress domain then all you need is to use its plugin for making an e-commerce site.
Cons of WooCommerce
- This plugin is flexible with WordPress themes, but in some of the websites, you must choose a theme based on WooCommerce, to make user-friendly e-commerce websites.
- It is free to download software, but to make its optimum use you might need to buy some extra plugins which need a subscription.
It’s free-to-use software. If you’re using it on WordPress, then you might need to add on some extra plugins to make optimum use.
Whereas, if you use it on Bluehost, it will benefit you with a free theme that integrates with the WooCommerce plugin.
FamousWebsite built using WooCommerce
The Root Science website deals in Skincare products.
Wix CMS Software
It is another most popular website Building Platform. Wix is not a pure form of CMS, it is a Design-driven CMS.
Moreover, it is user-friendly Software, Since Wix Provides more than 500 + of Ready-made templates which help you build a website even if you are not having specialized knowledge.
Pros of Wix CMS Software
- It provides lots of Pre-made templates.
- You can add lots of apps using Wix AppMarket.
- It has easy to use Drag and Drop Platform.
Cons of Wix CMS
- If you are using the free version of Wix, then you must have Wix’s branded domain name and ads on your site. Furthermore, Wix-based ads will make money for Wix, not for your website.
- Template selection is not flexible, as once you choose a template, you are unable to choose a different one.
- In the future, if you choose to switch your website to WordPress then it won’t be easy to Shift the pages as you must copy and paste those pages manually. Although, it’s easy to download your blog posts and images.
You can use the free version if you’re ok with Wix Domain and Ads on your Website.
Whereas, the following are the paid Plans.
Famous Site built by using Wix
It is a Wix website that provides an A+ user experience.
Dopple Press’ website for its risograph printing studio has earned her the runner-up spot in The Wix Awards 2021, as well as building a strong online presence.
Magento CMS Software
Magento is the best platform for E-commerce Sites. This Platform serves bigger online stores as the platform is powerful enough to feature a high number of products and orders.
Furthermore, this CMS software also assists good security and helps in customization.
Pros of Magento
- It has a wide range of features that allows you to manage multiple stores, languages, locations, pricing, and currencies.
- It provides you mobile-friendly configuration, a must to have feature for the success of an E-commerce site.
- It’s easy to customize magneto without any constraints.
Cons of Magneto
- It is Expensive as compared to WooCommerce.
- Though Magento has a large community of developers, it is difficult to find authentic Magneto Developers.
- It has a slow loading time.
Magento has different versions, if you want to use its free version then you need a custom domain and web hosting.
In addition, to know about the pricing of other versions you need to contact their sales team
Famous Website using Magento
Helly Hansen is one of the leading clothing and sporting goods companies in the world.
The company produces workwear, outerwear, streetwear, survival and rescue gear, and fishing gear.
The Magento platform gives them the ability to create a unique and engaging shopping experience for their customers. Moreover, there are several out-of-the-box features that we can utilize as well as seamless integrations with third parties.
Its CMS Software is provided by Google for free and this platform is specially geared up for blogging.
Blogs on Blogger usually have BlogSpot as the domain name, though you can also use your own domain name.
Pros of Blogger
- It is simple to use. Blogs can be set up in minutes, and they’re well designed to facilitate writing and publishing.
- You can add a range of free gadgets to your blog, such as a contact form and ads, that will make it easy to add information to your blog.
- Hosting for your blog is provided by Google. It doesn’t require installation, updating, or hosting.
Cons of Blogger
- Provide basic themes, you can modify them but are unable to create your own.
- Good for blogging website, websites like e-commerce are not eligible to create as it doesn’t provide the extra feature.
Blogger is free for everyone, and you won’t be charged anything unless you decide to purchase a custom domain name.
Shopify is an E-commerce platform that allows a user to set up online stores and sell their products. It is easy to use, with a simple drag and drop interface.
Furthermore, you need to buy a plan and a domain name to operate an online e-commerce store. Whereas you don’t need to buy hosting plans.
Pros of Shopify
- It assists you with lots of extensions and themes. Moreover, you can buy various third-party Shopify apps which allows you to add all kind of features to your online stores.
- They provide 24/7 customer support service via various platforms like e-mail, Phone, and even Twitter. Additionally, Shopify also provides help through written blogs and video tutorials.
- You can easily add payment options through Shopify integrated payment solutions.
- Shopify also provides you the default payment option i.e. PayPal.
Cons of Shopify
- In the long run, your costs might be high, especially if you want to add lots of third-party apps.
- In comparison to a self-hosted platform that can potentially allow you to change everything, Shopify allows you to only make changes to certain parts of its functionality.
The following image gives you an estimate of the Price charged by Shopify.
You can also build a website using the free version, but it won’t let you interact with your customers, it will work as a demo website for you.
Famous Website Built using Shopify
KKW Beauty is a Celebrity-owned Cosmetic Line and one of the biggest companies using Shopify.
It was Founded by Forbes-listed Billionaire Kim Kardashians in 2017. Moreover, its market capture is around $1Billion.
It is a Fully Hosted all-in-one e-commerce platform. In layman’s terms, BigCommerce provides all the features you need to run an eCommerce store, including hosting, design, content, search engine optimization, payments, and marketing tools.
In addition, BigCommerce is called SAAS (software as a service), By using BigCommerce, you can create a store quickly and easily.
Pros of BigCommerce
- The interface of BigCommerce is generally straightforward and user-friendly and is like those of Shopify and Squarespace.
- BigCommerce is helpful in Built-in Blog, as it helps in Inbound marketing and generates traffic for the website.
- Those who own a BigCommerce plan have access to 24-hour “live agent” customer support (via phone, email, or live chat)
- Its SEO feature is impressive- you can Create short URLs, and AMP formats on all themes and include image optimization in all plans.
Cons of BigCommerce
- BigCommerce doesn’t yet allow you to host a mailing list or send e-mail newsletters like Wix, Shopify, and Squarespace.
- If you exceed the limit on annual online sales, then you need to upgrade to a more expensive plan.
The following image gives you an idea about pricing which includes Standard, plus, and Pro Plans.
Famous website using BigCommerce
Sony is one of the big brands using BigCommerce as part of their tech stack.
It is open-source software designed as CMS which provides you with all the tools required to build a website. Moreover, it is not straightforward like other CMS software. It’s a bit complex in nature and uses “JAVA script” language.
If you want to use something straightforward then this platform is not for you as you might need to get familiar with its use by using its free version.
In addition, if you wish to build a site for large-scale businesses and tech products then this CMS is best fitted for you.
Pros of Magnolia
- It’s easy to edit pages and personalized content.
- Magnolia provides backup for data safety.
Cons of Magnolia
- It might be great and easy for coders but not good for beginners, especially with no coding knowledge.
- Magnolia lacks community and support.
- It requires the knowledge of JAVA Script.
There is no pricing available for Magnolia as customers need to contact their sales group to know the plan as per their requirement
It is a technical site builder, most of the users generally choose them for building a blog, e-commerce store, and portfolios for professionals.
Furthermore, they provide you with over 100+ themes, which help you to build a smart and professional-looking website.
In addition, Squarespace provides you with 500+ plugin options and allows you to use third-party plugins and most of its plugins are for e-commerce payment gateway.
Pros of Squarespace
- They assist you with 24/7 customer support service, not only by email but also through live chats.
- It’s reasonable in cost, as it gives you a high return.
- You can easily switch to a new template or theme without losing your content
Cons of Squarespace
- Navigation for editing the sites can be difficult and frustrating.
- It is not a drag and drop platform like WordPress and Wix.
- Not good at creating AMP websites.
Squarespace is quite reasonable and gives you two weeks of a free trial.
The following image shows the price plan of Squarespace
Famous website built using Squarespace
It is a high-end spa, dining, and retreat which includes a thermal pool and steam rooms. Its website is built using Squarespace CMS Software.
It is a cloud-based content management software that uses API(Application programming interface).
Furthermore, it assists you with marketing tools, which helps to reach more users and engage visitors to the website.
Pros of Kentico
- It has the latest data backup features
- Another All-in-one software, which assists you with the e-commerce website and blog building.
- It has easy to use interface
Cons of Kentico
- Its admin is not upgraded like other CMS software.
- You need to customize calendar controls.
Pricing of Kentico
The following image shows you the pricing plan which generally includes business, premium, and pricing plans.
Famous website using Kentico
Skype is the most popular website built by using Kentico as it is great for large businesses and provides multifunctionality.
It is a cloud-based website hosted by Microsoft. Moreover, it is a multilingual CMS software as you can add content in various languages, custom designs, and easy editing texts and images.
In addition, it is a good platform for digital marketing.
Pros of Sitefinity
- It provides easy to use Drag and drop interface.
- Also provides site insight to track the journey of users and helps to optimize it.
Cons of Sitefinity
- It doesn’t assist you with automatic updates
- It has less no. of plugins and third-party integrations.
Sitefinity CMS Software offers you 30 days of a free trial.
Furthermore, it charges prices as per individual requirements, which means you need to contact their sales team to get the subscription price.
Umbraco is open-source software that is user-friendly and used as a WordPress alternative.
In addition, its CMS is based on Microsoft.NET Framework, and it is backed by a team of enterprise experts level.
Pros of Umbraco
- Easy to display content on multiple platforms.
- It’s good for the security system.
Cons of Umbraco
- Fewer plugins are available as compared to WordPress.
- Zero community developers
It is free for Open-source software, but you need to buy domain and hosting.
In the above blog, we have read about 15 CMS software to be used in 2022.
Hope this blog was helpful for you in selecting the best CMS Software for your website.
Thank you! For giving your precious time to read our blog.